´ Roochis: Ulavalu Pulusu (Horse gram Sambar)

I post here to keep track of my recipies so that I can refer when I am cooking again

Hope it helps you too!!

Ulavalu Pulusu (Horse gram Sambar)


I could get the same taste as my mom makes this and one of my favorite. Horse gram is a very healthy bean, sprouting or soaking it increases the protein in it. I took this recipe from my mom as I did not want to mess up but wanted the best. It came out very well... This is also called as Kollu Kozhambu in Tamil.
Ingredients :

  • Horse gram : 50gms (Soaked overnight or Sprouted)
  • Chilli powder :1 tbl spn
  • Tamarind pulp : 3/4 tea spn
  • Brinjal : 3 small or half aubergine
  • Tomato : 1 No.
  • Onion : 1 No.
  • Turmeric : half tea spn
  • For Grinding : Grated coconut : 5 tbl spns + Coriander powder : 2 tbl spns
  • For seasoning : Oil + (Mustard seeds, Hing, Urad Dhal, Curry Leaves) or Vadagham

Pic : Ulavalu / Horesegram / Kollu

Method of preparation : 
  • Pressure cook the Soaked Horse gram with 2 cups of water till its 3/4th cooked. In the mean time, grind coconut and coriander powder coarsely.
  • Once the pressure is released, add turmeric, salt, chilli powder, chopped onion, chopped tomato, cubed brinjal, ground mixture and cook till the brinjal is done. 
  • Add the tamarind extract. Do not add all at a time, check the taste and add more.Get it to boil and remove from flame. 
  • Seasoning: Heat a table spoon of oil in a skillet add the ingredients of seasoning and mix this with the sambar. Alternatively Vadagam seasoning would give a great taste and aroma as always. Serve with Rice.
Note : This can be done really very fast. Approximately 15min for all the process except for the soaking time. Delicious and healthy.

Wanna get latest recipes ! Enter your email address:

  © Blogger template edited and banner designed by ROOCHI

Back to TOP